Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mindsleep

Mine does not.
Sleep that is. As a rule.
Dream free sleeps evoke solutions to problems or difficulties that are pushed to the furthest reaches of my mind during waking hours. The resolves I make while sleeping, the ideas I come up with, the solutions are not always crystal clear when I wake but usually I am able to pull the scattered, blurred thoughts together enough to ... use them.

As I lay my weary body and too tired mind in bed last night, I had hoped for a solution to an issue or two that have been dogging me lately. They are not 'big deals' but they are problems that require delicacy and tact in order to save feelings and face.

Mindsleep arrived last night. So there were no solutions. There were, however, some very strange, disjointed dreams.

My sister-in-law and I finally went for that long walk in the woods. The one I've been begging her to go on for years. (not really) As we strolled the path of the Bird Sanctuary, a giant black bear crested the hill above us and a quick decision had to be made. I was ducking under a full branched, thick needled pine tree, she was racing up hill toward the bear. I thought, "Wow, she can really run fast! Why didn't I know that?" I was terrified, wrapped around the base of the trunk, glued in place, eyes closed, body taught while she, she ran full force into that giant black bear screaming as if her life depended on it. She stopped screaming. I sensed a second bear approaching -- I could feel the ground tremble as came closer. Refusing to move, to acknowledge its presence, body so tight, I knew when it had moved on.

Plink. Plink. Plink. plinkplinkplinkplink. Coins dropping into Campbell's Tomato Soup cans. Plink. Plink. Plink. P.L.I.N.K!

Cold, damp air. A wet mist swirling about me. I am young and I am confused. Where am I? Why is there mist? Alone, I turn, turn, turn, looking, searching and then I fade away into the mist.

....'come on get higher, loosen my lips'... the clock radio wakes me and I realize I had Mindsleep last night.

Shouldn't I feel rested?

1 comment:

Missie said...

I have some of the weirdest dreams when I go to sleep. They never make any sense. LOL